Freida Kincaid:
Throughout this trip we have encountered many foreign animals, some we were hoping for and others maybe not so much. Though even the scarier animals have their own sort of beauty and unique adaptations that have led them to still survive today. I’d like to share in this post some of the most unique animals I’ve encountered on this trip, and some of the interesting facts about them.
The Japanese Skink is a small reptile that we encountered while hiking Mount Kurama and in Nishiawakura. The mating season for these skinks lasts from April to May and during this time frame the males' heads turn a reddish hue. This species of skink has the largest distribution out of all skink species in Japan.
The Japanese Fresh water crabs are my personal favorite species we were able to see. They were most abundantly found during the habitat restoration. They are most often found in fresh water streams and highland freshwater. Their color can range from a greyish blue to a red brown depending on their location. This species of crab is also nocturnal, and prefers to hide under rocks and logs during the day. Most notably they need very clean unpolluted water, so they are a good indicator for pollution levels.
The Mukade, also known as the Giant Centipede, is a large insect growing up to twenty centimeters long. I encountered this insect while sitting on the steps of our accommodation in Nishiawakura, and found out afterwards that it is very aggressive and venomous. Its bite causes severe burning, swelling, and can even lead to a fever. With their size and venom this species is a carnivore eating cockroaches, spiders, other insects, and occasionally small rodents or lizards. In some Japanese households if these are caught they are put in a jar with oil to keep as an antivenom if bitten by another Mukade.
I could honestly go on for days about the cool animals we saw or found traces of, but to me these were the most memorable, but maybe not the easiest to find. If I take another trek back to japan I’d love to see all of these animals again (maybe the Mukade from farther away) and hopefully many more.

No comments:
Post a Comment