Casey Havrda:
On Japan's west coast on the Sea of Japan in Tottori stand huge sand dunes. Walking up to the first dune felt like stepping onto a different planet. The sand stretched for miles in both directions and was surrounded by deep green forested mountains.
As we climbed up the tallest dune which bordered the edge of the sea, we were hit with a strong salty breeze which reminded me of the beaches I love at home. Looking to the right, I saw a rocky coastline and huge mountains that were just kissing the coastline. This is a geographical feature I find so striking.
On the left we could see the port of Tottori and a cozy bunch of homes bordering the large river that flows out to sea. The town is tucked between mountains and the sea. The wind and scenery were so exciting it made me want to jump around and run.
The waves that were crashing on the edge of the sand dunes below seemed so close to us, yet so far away. A few of us couldn’t help but run down the sand dune to touch the water. Each step just felt like catching myself from falling down the steep pitch of sand.
I enjoyed feeling the waves crash at my feet and looking up at the huge dune to see the rest of our group waving down at us. This adventure was endlessly worth the trek back up the dune. The dunes were a very special place, and the feeling of the salty wind on my face is not one I’ll soon forget.

No comments:
Post a Comment