Saturday, July 13, 2024

Dingle 4: It's not an American Rowboat

Thursday July 11 Sawyer Pierpont 

        Today I started my day off by mentally preparing myself for rowing, but not the traditional rowing
you’ve seen in The Boys In The Boat, but rather traditional Irish Naomhóg (pronounced nave-oge). I had never heard of this rowing prior to coming to Dingle. Naomhóg rowing boats consist of 4 seats with each rower having two oars. I was surprised at how narrow the oars themselves were with the ends of the oars being around three inches wide. Our guide Luke was only 13 years old which surprised all of us at how young yet skilled he was. The rowing technique itself was challenging at times as it required you to cross your hands over each other with one being your top hand and one being the bottom hand. I felt most comfortable with my left hand on top and right on bottom. After cracking my knuckles together several times, our voyage with Luke came to an end. 
        Next item on the list was sustenance, coffee and a crepe. Our group of rowers found a near by crepe shop where I ordered a cappuccino and a lemon sugar crepe. Following our snack break we made

our way to the Sacred Heart classroom on The Mall where we discussed our next ordeal. 
         After a bagged lunch at the classroom, we made our way to Hussey’s Foley near the Dingle Harbor where we observed different sectors within a large intertidal area. My partners, Jarret, Nate and myself, found some intriguing animals in our intertidal sectors. Our finds included Plumose Anemone, Velvet Swimming crabs, common sea stars, Shany’s, and Common Prawn. As we explored the surrounding tide pools I couldn’t help but feel slightly like Charles Darwin or a young Teddy Roosevelt collecting data samples and exploring new land; at least new to me. After we finished our three required

data
collection sites.
         Nate, Jarret and I continued to scour the rocks and tide pools in search of whatever little creatures we could find to scratch our itch for adventure and exploration. Once we had our fill of species searching, we made our way down to the light house where we were able to look out into the North Atlantic Ocean with Skellig Michael in the background. As I sat on my grassy rock perch, I was impressed and taken aback by the sheer beauty and vastness of the view from the top of the rock.










No comments:

Post a Comment